Monday, January 22, 2018

Ways to Live, Consequences and Faith



This week I would like to begin my blog with a beautiful teaching by the Lord during His Sermon on the Mount. The link below will set the tone for my blog this week.


As I read these beautiful words being taught early in the Savior's ministry, they touched my heart in a very special way. They are not simple a list of ideas or concepts. They are something so much more than that.
As you read through the words that Christ is teaching, you will see a pattern that can help you to live a Christ diven life. 
(http://heritage-signs.us/ten/beatitudes-Jesus.phtml)
One by one he begins to list off several attributes that I feel we each should live in our lives each day. But the Lord isn't just telling us the things that he expects of us, he follows each one with a glorious blessing if we will follow this teaching. It is one of the first times that the Lord directly helps us to see that every action or attitude that we live each day comes with a direct blessing or consequence. Just as here on earth during our mortal journey, we have to live with consequences based on choices we make, good for good, and bad for bad.

One thing you may be asking yourself is, when I feel like I have been trying my best to do all that the Lord asks of me, why am I having this trial or bad thing in my life? This goes along with the principle of consequensces because unfortunately sometimes we are having to suffer a challenge based on someone else's choice. It is during these times that it is important for us to remember that the Lord knows of our suffering, and He is there to carry us through. 
There are times during our lives, when things seem to be more than we can bear. It is during these times that we have to remember that the Lord has made a promise to us, He will never leave us comfortless.

"I will not leave you comfortless; I will come to you." (John 14:18)

At a time of extreme persecution when the Prophet, Joseph Smith, was being falsely accused and held in Liberty Jail he was feeling alone and foresaken. The Lord said to him,

"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and think afflictions shall be but a small moment;
"And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thous shalt triumph over all thy foes." (Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-8)

We have had that same promise placed upon us. Trials may come, they are part of this earthly life, but if we have the faith in the Lord's help and endure our trial we can receive exaltation in the life to come. We will have the power to overcome those that have added sorrow to our lives.

I think each day of our lives we should focus on the beauty of Christ's message. Commandments and expectations from the Lord are not put there to limit our experiences on earth. They are there to provide the framework for us to live lives that will be dedicated to the Lord. It is through this journey that we are able to learn, grow and prove ourselves faithful to return to Heavenly Father to receive the greatest of all blessings; Exaltation in the Kingdom of God.





No comments:

Post a Comment